Views
Helpful
Replies

BUG .,. or not ??

l.meyer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

it´s a little bit confused ! What´s the difference between Int 2/2 and 2/3 ??

best regards!

Cat WS-C4506; IOS Version 12.1(19)EW1; SupIV WS-X4515

Module2 18Port GigaBit WS-X4418-GB

C4506(config)int gig 2/2

C4506(config-if)#switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

C4506(config)#int gig 2/3

C4506(config-if)#switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

C4506#sh int trunk module 2

Port Mode Encapsulation Status Native vlan

Gi2/2 on 802.1q not-trunking 1

Gi2/3 on 802.1q not-trunking 1

C4506#sh run int gig 2/2

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 187 bytes

!

interface GigabitEthernet2/2

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,938,942

switchport mode trunk

logging event link-status

end

C4506#sh run int gig 2/3

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 149 bytes

!

interface GigabitEthernet2/3

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,938,942

switchport mode trunk

logging event link-status

end

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

this is a limitation with the ws-x4418. supports trunking only on ports 1 and 2 because the

ports are fully independent, nonblocking Gigabit Ethernet. All the rest of the ports are multiplexed in four groups of four ports

URL: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/hw_doc/mod_inst/01overvw.htm#1025945

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

skarundi
Level 4
Level 4

Please provide a more detailed explanation of the problem. It is not clear what the question is.

From the info provided, you are asking what the difference is between ports 2 and 3 on a ws-x4418 module and I'm sure that's not what you are asking.

Thanks.

The problem is that there are no difference between the two interfaces, but at port 3 I can´t enter the command "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q" > "% Invalid input detected at '^' marker" and at port 2 I can enter it normally. However the configuration of both trunks (sh int trunk module 2) are OK, but there is no entry in the running-config of port 3 !!!

this is a limitation with the ws-x4418. supports trunking only on ports 1 and 2 because the

ports are fully independent, nonblocking Gigabit Ethernet. All the rest of the ports are multiplexed in four groups of four ports

URL: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/hw_doc/mod_inst/01overvw.htm#1025945

Craig Norborg
Level 4
Level 4

Hmm... I think a vital clue is where it is saying your input is bad, its acting like the prompt "C4506(config-if)#" is part of the command. The "^" that tells where the bad input is appears to be on the "C" of the C4506. Strange...

The marker is displaced. Original it´s at the (e)ncapsulation !!! If I type a "?" after the "switchport trunk", there is no "encapsulation" entry !!!

Module X4418 is not fully support ISL trunk protocol.

Port 1 and 2 support ISL / Dot1q.

That was why you can use "switchport trunk encaptulation dot1q"

Port 3 to 18 only support dot1q

That was why there is no command entry of "switchport trunk encaptulation XXXX "