Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

BUG .,. or not ??

Hi,

it´s a little bit confused ! What´s the difference between Int 2/2 and 2/3 ??

best regards!

Cat WS-C4506; IOS Version 12.1(19)EW1; SupIV WS-X4515

Module2 18Port GigaBit WS-X4418-GB

C4506(config)int gig 2/2

C4506(config-if)#switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

C4506(config)#int gig 2/3

C4506(config-if)#switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

C4506#sh int trunk module 2

Port Mode Encapsulation Status Native vlan

Gi2/2 on 802.1q not-trunking 1

Gi2/3 on 802.1q not-trunking 1

C4506#sh run int gig 2/2

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 187 bytes

!

interface GigabitEthernet2/2

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,938,942

switchport mode trunk

logging event link-status

end

C4506#sh run int gig 2/3

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 149 bytes

!

interface GigabitEthernet2/3

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,938,942

switchport mode trunk

logging event link-status

end

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bronze

Re: BUG .,. or not ??

this is a limitation with the ws-x4418. supports trunking only on ports 1 and 2 because the

ports are fully independent, nonblocking Gigabit Ethernet. All the rest of the ports are multiplexed in four groups of four ports

URL: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/hw_doc/mod_inst/01overvw.htm#1025945

6 REPLIES
Bronze

Please provide a more detailed explanation of the problem. It is not clear what the question is.

From the info provided, you are asking what the difference is between ports 2 and 3 on a ws-x4418 module and I'm sure that's not what you are asking.

Thanks.

The problem is that there are no difference between the two interfaces, but at port 3 I can´t enter the command "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q" > "% Invalid input detected at '^' marker" and at port 2 I can enter it normally. However the configuration of both trunks (sh int trunk module 2) are OK, but there is no entry in the running-config of port 3 !!!

Bronze

this is a limitation with the ws-x4418. supports trunking only on ports 1 and 2 because the

ports are fully independent, nonblocking Gigabit Ethernet. All the rest of the ports are multiplexed in four groups of four ports

URL: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/hw_doc/mod_inst/01overvw.htm#1025945

Hmm... I think a vital clue is where it is saying your input is bad, its acting like the prompt "C4506(config-if)#" is part of the command. The "^" that tells where the bad input is appears to be on the "C" of the C4506. Strange...

The marker is displaced. Original it´s at the (e)ncapsulation !!! If I type a "?" after the "switchport trunk", there is no "encapsulation" entry !!!

BUG .,. or not ??

Module X4418 is not fully support ISL trunk protocol.

Port 1 and 2 support ISL / Dot1q.

That was why you can use "switchport trunk encaptulation dot1q"

Port 3 to 18 only support dot1q

That was why there is no command entry of "switchport trunk encaptulation XXXX "

Views
Helpful
Replies