cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bundling DS3's

jfraasch
Level 3
Level 3

We are getting two point to point 45mb DS3's and are installing PA-2T3+ cards in 7206 routers at each end location. What I want to know is if we can bundle these two DS3's together to get a 90mb single virtual pipe instead of the two discrete 45mb links.

We can do this sort of thing with T1's where we PPP multilink a couple of 1.5MB T1's together to get a 3.0mb pipe. I dont want to take individual channels on the DS3 and multilink them like we do to the T1's because with the 64 channels the overhead would be ridiculous. I doubt it would work at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a technology on the routers that will allow this to happen? Would Virtual Templates do anything for us?

Thanks for the help!

James

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It will work. You can bundle two T3s togather using ppp multilink.

Link two serial interface under one multilink group. Configure the same way as you configure the T1 lines.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It will work. You can bundle two T3s togather using ppp multilink.

Link two serial interface under one multilink group. Configure the same way as you configure the T1 lines.

Thanks for the reply. I will let you know that I did open a TAC case on it and was told that it was not possible. I think the engineer thought I was talking about PPP Multilinking each of the individual T1 lines.

Thanks again!

If both ends of your 2xDS3 connections will be terminated on the same router,

just enable ip cef and configure per packet load-balancing on the interfaces involved.

I have a question about CEF forwarding then. If I enable per packet forwarding will I get the full 90MB of bandwidth when I download or will I just get load balancing. I seem to remember somewhere reading that the CEF forwarding does not aggregate the bandwidth, it just load balances.

Let me know what you think.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: