cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BVI secondary IP address

jritchie
Level 1
Level 1

I want to get rid of a router that is set as a default gateway for many PCs. I would like to setup a Cat 4908GL3 with this address without changing its existing address. Is there any problems with configuring a BVI with a secondary address?

2 Replies 2

rwiesmann
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

As i understand you question you handle the communication between the different ip subnets on the router which you want to get rid of it?

In my opinion you could handle that on the CAT 4908GL3 as on the router because the 4908 also has L3 capabilities.

Define as many vlan as you need and use the addresses from the router on

the vlan interfaces. this way you do not need to change the default gateways on your clients.

Hope that helps

Roger

The 4908GL3 is already routing. I have a number of PCs using the 4908 BVI1 as their default gateway. The problem is that I have a one armed router that has a number of PCs using it as their default gateway. Since that is a inefficient configuration, I want to get rid of this router, and possible assign it's IP address as a secondary IP address on BVI1 of the 4908. That way I dont have to change the default gateway of the PCs. I am just curious as to wether the secondary address configuration would work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco