Views
Helpful
Replies

C2924XL seems REALLY hot

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

the C2924 (4MB) IOS 11.2(8)SA3 is in my house. a left over from the company i closed (thank NASDAQ). anyway, of course all his life (2-3 years) he was in my NOC which was air conditioned with the rest of the routers, switches and servers...

when i took it home and installed it in my study/computers room (replacing a simple hub), i found out that it REALLY generates heat, i mean a l-o-t of heat. i mean its so hot i can't put my hand on the bottom for more then half a second.

it has 3 fans in the back, but only one works all the time. from reading about the switch a little i think at least one of the fans, if not both, are related to whether there is an RPC connected to the "DC Input". not sure about that though...

what's more, it never showed any sign of problem in working, all the lights in the front are green <probably a good sign>. with my basic IOS knowledge i couldn't find any "show" command that will tell me what is the temprature in the box or what is the status of the fans <maybe there is a problem>. opened the box to see maybe there are jumpers to set the other two fans to "ON" or something, but that didn't work either.

so.....

where do i go from here?

if this says any thing, the upper side is not getting hot at all, just the bottom.

Thanks in advance,

Amit

1 Reply 1

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I suspect the fan to have gone bad. I checked in the lab and saw 2 fans working on most switches and all 3 on some. I believe it depends on temperature. If you have a contract, I suggest that you open a TAC case and have it replaced