Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

C2950. new features after software upgrade

Hi all!

After software upgrade on my Catalyst 2950T to c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-9.EA1.bin I have found two new features:

1. subinterfaces on Fastethernet or Gigabitethernet:

suslik#configure terminal

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

suslik(config)#interface FastEthernet0/1.?

<0-4294967295> FastEthernet interface number

2. IP addresses on interfaces:

suslik(config)#interface FastEthernet 0/1

suslik(config-if)#ip ?

Interface IP configuration subcommands:

access-group Specify access control for packets

address Set the IP address of an interface

What does it mean ?

3 REPLIES

Re: C2950. new features after software upgrade

Regarding your 2nd question; your switch now has layer 3 switching capabilites. I've never seen this feature enabled on a lower end Cisco Catalyst 2900 series switch. Looks like you installed the Cisco IOS software on your switch as well; instead of upgrading to a new Catalyst OS. Your higher end switches, such as the Catalyst 4000/5500/6500 series switches can be ordered with an MSFC, NFFC, or RSM. With that type of hardware, your switch can run the Catalyst OS, and your routing cards run the Cisco IOS. I hope this helps!

Cisco Employee

No. A software upgrade will not provide Layer 3 capabilities to a 2950. As I mentioned earlier you might see the options in the parser since it runs IOS and we have 3550 platform which is a layer 3 switch and runs similar IOS

Cisco Employee

You might see the command options in parser but you'll not be able to configure an IP address or sub-interfaces on a CAT2950 as it's a Layer 2 only switch. If you need layer 3 features, you might want to consider a 3550

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content