cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C2950T - Authentication Error

alatzas
Level 1
Level 1

I am having an issue where i can log into the switch via telnet or ssh but when i type "enable" i get an error that states "% Error in authentication". Has anyone seen this? It doesnt even give me a change to try to login when i type "enable" it just gives that message. One thing to note is that if i log in through the console i can type enable and it takes me right in - without euthentication. Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

3 Replies 3

paul.werner
Level 1
Level 1

First, all lines on the router (Console, VTY, etc) are configured differently or the same; that is up to you. This is why coming in through a virtual terminal line (telnet) can have a different outcome than loggin in through the console. It is all in what you configured. See if this link helps on the specific problem you have:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2086/products_qanda_item09186a0080094bac.shtml#qa45

pw

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Almost seems like I have seen this when someone hasn't configured a enable secret password .

Thanks. That did it. I only had the enable password configured. idiot me...

Pete

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: