cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C3560V2 switch - Boot Loader won't upgrade

colin_bluck
Level 1
Level 1

We have 6 3560V2 switches being used in 3 MAP pods for a Tshoot module in a Netlab system.  5 of the switches respond to the break signal generated by server but 1 refuses.  The 5 working switches have a Boot Loader version of 12.2(53r)SEY4 whilst the non working switch has version 12.2(50r)SE.  All the switches have had the recommended IOS of c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.150-2.SE4.bin installed.  I have read that upgrading the IOS to this version and/or some higher 12.2 versions should upgrade the boot loader but that has failed every time.

There are other instances of users having similar problems with the same boot loader.

Does anyone have knowledge of this problem and a solution?

Is there some way of forcing the boot loader to upgrade?

If I can do this then it should eliminate whether it is a boot loader problem or some other issue, maybe hardware.

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Is there some way of forcing the boot loader to upgrade?

How was the upgrade done?  What the IOS upgrade done by just copying the BIN file to the switch or was the IOS upgrade done using the TAR file?

Initially I had just copied the BIN file but I have since used the Tar file to upgrade the IOS.

Bootstrap is the ROMmon.  It's got nothing to do with the operation of the IOS.  

Honestly, I would recommend IOS version 12.2(55)SE10 over 15.X due to stability.  When I used to run my 3750G/X on 15.0(2)SE4, I had a number of issues mostly affecting CPU bugs.  Switched to 12.2(55)SE10 and my 3750X are operating nicely.

Appreciate your comment on ROMmon and IOS, however I have seen your other comments on similar issues stating that upgrading the IOS should/can in theory upgrade the Boot Loader.  It's also the advice I've had from other sources however this just hasn't happened for me.  I simply get the message on boot up that Boot Loader upgrade has been checked but not needed.

With relation to IOS 12.2(55)SE10 over 15.X, Cisco Netacad recommends 15.X when teaching Tshoot V7 curriculum so this was reason for installing 15.X.

I have seen your other comments on similar issues stating that upgrading the IOS should/can in theory upgrade the Boot Loader.  It's also the advice I've had from other sources however this just hasn't happened for me.  I simply get the message on boot up that Boot Loader upgrade has been checked but not needed.

That is correct.  The IOS version dictates what the ROMmon version should be running.  If, during the boot-up process the IOS detects that the ROMmon upgrade is "not needed" then I'd say it is correct.  

Again, if you're just learning, then ROMmon version will have nil impact to how the switch operates.  

Well we are all learning but I'm not a beginner.  I'ver been managing Netlab servers and various pods/devices for 10 years as part of the Open University academy in the UK where we have CCNA and CCNP modules.

I agree that the ROMmon does not control how the switch operates.  However, when the C3560V2 was released there was a bug ( CSCsv92241) which prevented the switch from responding to the 'Break' signal.  This was fixed with later IOS releases which included a later Boot Loader.

The fact I have 6 C3560V2 switches, 5 with one Boot loader version which work fine with the 'Break' signal and 1 with an earlier version (12.2(50r)) which does not, makes me very suspicious that it is preventing recognition of the 'Break' signal.  Clearly I can't prove that unless I can update the Boot Loader, thus my initial question.  However it's looking like that's not possible unless some later IOS release will eventually upgrade the Boot Loader.

I might be wrong but I'd like to prove it one or the other.  On the other hand with these switches having EOL it just might not happen.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I'm unfamiliar with the boot flash upgrade on the 3560v2 (and too lazy to look it up - laugh), but might I presume you want to get into ROMMOM mode using break?

If so, would changing the confreg, in IOS, get the device into ROMMOM?

No I don't want to specifically get into ROMmon using the 'Break'.  The Netlab system uses the Break signal to automate certain functions on the switch but appreciate your thought.