cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C3660 hangs Network

kcgeorge
Level 1
Level 1

I have a C3660 which hangs typically after a 2-3 days of being in production. The only resolution to bring it back into service was to power it off & power back on again, which doesn't seem to be a feasible option always.

The router has OSPF as the Routing Protocol. I am trying to get a better handle as to why this is happening & any suggestions where to start looking for probable causes( Memory Leaks, Processor Usage etc ) would be good.

Thx in advance for your suggestions.

----

KC

4 Replies 4

agnelo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

1) Check for any bugs in the software which you r running on the router.

2) Check the router does not have a memory leak. If u are not monitoring the router frequently, try to telnet the router when it hangs. If u do not get access to the router then most probably you have memory leak issue.

Hope this will help

Agnelo

The IOS code is 12.2(13a).

On a side note, what are the parameters indicative of a memory leak on the Router ? How do I check for that ?

Thx

----

KC

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

Can you get into the console on the router when it hangs? Can you telnet to it? Or is all communication shut off? Does the router continue switching when it is in this state?

If you can't console into the router, then try sending a break through the console, and you might be able to get a traceback that will help you figure out what's going on.

Russ.W

I can get to the router console via OBM. That's the only way I can get to the box.

All communication / switching stops when in this state. The IOS ver running is 12.2(13a).

What would be some of the trigger points that I need to see on issuing the command - " sh process " that would tell me that there is a potential memory leak or processor overload....

Thx

----

KC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: