Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

C6513 fabric enabled cards...only in slots 9-13?

Question regarding slot use...I have a 6513 chassis with (4) 48 port gig ethernet RJ45 interface cards in slots 10-13 and a 48 port SFP card in slot 9. These are the only slots that these fabric enabled cards will power up in. I am running a sup720 in slot 7. I am guessing I am now maxed out for fabric enabled cards? Am I limited to the 192 10/100/1000 RJ45 ports and the 48 SFP ports? Are there comparable cards available that would work in slots 1-6?

Thanks for any advice you all have. The current build should scale for at least a year or two, but I would really like to be able to get in one more 48 port SFP card and at least one more 48 port GE card.

3 REPLIES
Purple

Re: C6513 fabric enabled cards...only in slots 9-13?

Have never heard of that limitation , have you checked your power supplies ? Are they big enough to power all your cards , you may have to go to bigger supplies and a new fan tray ? I would to see how much power is being drawn by the the installed cards , if its reached its limit it will not power up any additional cards..

It depends on the fabric enabled card.

The 6513 is a "funny" beast.

All slots have at least "one" fabric bus connection, but only slots 9-13 have "two" -

this means that for the higher density cards, like the 6748SFP, that you can only put this in slots 9-13.

Now, that being said, you can put the 6724SFP in slots 1-6, and anything that's considered what I call a 'single' fabric connection card also in 1-6... as well as all the old traditional cards like the 6516, 6148, 6348, and even some of the 6500s with the fabric daughtercards.

There is a matrix of the cards available out there somewhere, as I looked at it back when I bought my 6513s, but this was a surprise to me too that I didn't find out until afterwards.

I know the newer E chassis, like 6509E are all dual-fabric enabled, but I haven't seen anything like that for the 6513 yet. Maybe someday.. :-)

Good luck!

Yes... It's unfortunate that Cisco has not released the new E-series chassis for 6513. Until then, you can use the hybrid (fabric-enabled as opposed to fabric-only), or classic linecards in the top slots.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content