cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C7200-I/O-GE+E

j-justice
Level 1
Level 1

C7200-I/O-GE+E modules have one gig port and one ethernet port. When looking at the interfaces of each, they have the same MAC address or BIA from Cisco. Can both of these ports be active at the same time, or can only one port be active? If both ports, what are the effects of having the same MAC?

5 Replies 5

skiv
Level 1
Level 1

We have cisco 7206VXR (NSE-1) with such module.

And MAC addresses of ethernet interfaces is different.

M9-1#sh int ethernet 0/0 | i bia

Hardware is i82543 (Livengood), address is 0004.280f.6006 (bia 0004.280f.6006)

M9-1#sh int gigabitEthernet 0/0 | i bia

Hardware is i82543 (Livengood), address is 0004.280f.6008 (bia 0004.280f.6008)

Everything is working.

Thank you for the reply, but this I/O controller is running on an NPE-400, not a NSE-1. I have to assume this has something to do with it. I have checked the BIA several times, even had someone else look at it just to ensure I wasn't going blind. They are the same. Did you have to adjust the BIA on your engine, or was this the factory setting?

This is factory setting.

mnaveen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If you have both GE and E ports on the same cards, then you cannot use both of them simultaneously. REMEMBER, if you have 2 networks connected to both these ports then they won't work togather.

You need a slight modification to make them work. For example: when you want to use the Ethernet port, you should change the media-type to rj-45 and when you want use the Gigabit-Ethernet interface, you should again change it back to 'gbic' under the interface configuration mode. Enabling the 'media-type rj-45' command ENABLES the Ethernet port and DISABLES the Gigabit-Ethernet port. The vice-versa is also true.

Hope it is clear now. :-))

Naveen.

mnaveen@cisco.com

A TAC case was opened with Cisco. They confirmed that both ports should be accesible at the same time on this specific module and further stated that this is a bug in the IOS.