cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cable modem wired up to 803 series router how would you do this

tnatale
Level 1
Level 1

Hi i am having a problem with my 803 series router i have a cable modem that i gain internet access from i want to connect my router to the cable modem and my pc to gain access to the internet throught the router i also want all my other machines to have access to the internet

please help thanks in advance

11 Replies 11

cybrgenx
Level 1
Level 1

does your isp use PPPoE or DNS resolution for authentication?

it uses dns resolution for authentication

Hmmm... as far as I know there is no way to send the hostname when doing an "ip address Negotiate", which is the only way that I know.

you could try using linux and setting it up as a router and firewall.

which cable co, I might be able to get somemore info.

ive tried again to do it now i can ping ip address of the router interface and the gateway from the console from the machine i can ping the gateway but i cant ping anything aoutside the ip host ramnge on the router i am thinking maybe i will have to use nat

cause when i change the ip address of the pc to a different network number i cant ping anything from the pc ip address of interface e0 is my optus cable ip address and subnet and i have assigned the default gateway on my pc i have put the ip address and gateway the gateway is the same as the router interface ip address on e0. the company that i have my cable internet is optus@home in australia. Hey contact me by email and i will give u more specifics if u like thanks.

can you ping www.cisco.com "198.133.219.25" from the router?... if so then configure nat and dns on the router. ping 198.133.219.25 from your workstation. after that just configure dns on the workstations and access-lists on the router.

let me know if it works, and what IOS you are using.

no i cannot ping the outside world from the router i can only ping my machine and its on ip and gateway.

On the pc i can only ping the gateway and i cannot ping anything else any suggestions.

Bad news for you the 803 doesn't send its "hostname" when requesting an ip address from the dhcp server they have on their network.

Anyone know of a IOS that does?

so there is no way that i can connect my cable modem to my 803 series router.

ive got my cable modem plufg going into my ethernet 0

port where i have configured the ip address and default gateway of my isp, the i have cat5 going from the hub in the router to the nic how or what should i give my ip address on my machine. im just a beginner with cisco products so im sorry if im not making sense to you.

?Optus gave you an static IP address to use?

well they do say its dynamic but it has never changed for the year and a half that i have been with them

pbrady
Level 1
Level 1

To do what you are wanting to accomplish is to have 2 ethernet ports. You will assign your Public IP on E0/0 and use IP NAT outside. On E0/1 you will use the subnet for your inside network and use IP NAT inside. 12.1.5yb supports PPoe but this is mainly use for ADSL or ATM WIC Modules. I have Comcast and it works fine with a static address that I put in the router. But I have a 2621 also. I don't think you will have any luck unless you get another Ethernet port on that router.

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: