cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Calculating Bandwidth... - easy question

cisco_himg
Level 1
Level 1

I need to calculate bandwitdh to figure out what kind of connection i need. I know if i take ONE single computer with wireshark loaded then run the programs then stop the capture.....How long do i need to capture it for? 1 minute, or 10 minutes, or ? Then once i capture the data, what do i do with it?

Help!

Thank you

3 Replies 3

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I need to calculate bandwitdh to figure out what kind of connection i need. I know if i take ONE single computer with wireshark loaded then run the programs then stop the capture.....How long do i need to capture it for? 1 minute, or 10 minutes, or ? Then once i capture the data, what do i do with it?

Help!

Thank you

Hi,

By capturing packets it wont help to calculate the bandwidth requirement genral practices and approach is you need to consider the concurrency usage ratio from single PC based on which you can determine the bandwidth to be subscribed from your service provider.You also need to check out whether upload or the download traffic.

Best practice also would be to subscribe for lesser bandwidth for short duration and observe the peak/average usage on the links and based on that you can decide the actual bandwidth requirement for your facility.

Hope to Help !!

Remember to rate the helpful post

Ganesh.H

Thank you for your response. However, i dont feel comfortable just getting internet service and not really knowing how much i need. I dont want to have to keep dealing with the ISP about connection speeds.

Is there any other way?

Hi

In order to calculate how much bandwidth you may need you will have to determine what the business requires.

How many people are sending and receiving files? How large is the tpyical send/receive and often is it done. latency is also a factor. Latency has to do with the distance. We have a site in the far east that take over 200 ms no matter how big the pipe is.

For example I have a remote site here in the US to our US HQ with 8 people accessing file servers, mail and even some video from time to time. And our bandwidth for that site is 512 Kbit.