Views
Helpful
Replies

Callback Terminal Connection causes scrambled output

mhoe
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I am searching a solution for securely connecting to a 1710 Router via analog modem, using the router's aux-port. Dialing in works fine using Hyper Terminal under Windows. For Security Reasons there must be a callback to a pre-specified number. Callback by itself also works until the "User Access Verification". Then, "Username:" is prompted but pieces of previous text are filled in without the chance to interrupt that. Well, user authentication failes three times and the connection is aborted.

When I disable re-authentication after callback, the command line is filled up with previous text fragments and working is impossible.

Output looks like this:

router>router>router>

The fact that a single (non-callback) connection works fine indicates correctness of modem-settings - doesn't it? Debugging also looks good.

Is it a Hyperterminal Problem? Could I use another Tool?

2 Replies 2

beth-martin
Level 5
Level 5

May be you have to tyry some other terminal software like Tera Term instead of Hyper terminal which might help in your case.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I can't dial via modem with Tera Term, can I?

With Hyper Terminal I dial to the router and authenticate. Then the router hangs up and calls back. I have to make Hyper Terminal wait for incoming calls, it accepts the call and then messes input with output.

How can I use Tera Term for that? It seems only to work with TCP/IP or serial sessions. Do you know other tools?