cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cam table issues on Cat6509

asbeech
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to change the cam aging timer on a Cat 6509 with S/W 7.3.2. I am trying to change it on one vlan and when I do it allows me to do it but then reverts back to the previous setting. It is set to 15 seconds at the moment and I am trying to change it to 14400 seconds in line with my ARP Timeout setting in the MSFC.

UPDATE - by viewing the show cam aging command I have discovered that the timer is flicking between the two settings but not at a consistent rate.

2 Replies 2

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

are you by any chance attempting to prevent unicast flooding for unknown MAC addresses?

if so, you should be able to use the:

'set cam agingtime 10 14400'

the above command sets the cam agingtime to 14400 seconds for vlan 10.

is this the syntax you've used? provide some output of your configuration or show commands and we may be able to assist further.

Yes I am trying to prevent Unicast Flooding. The syntax I am using is 'set cam agingtime dyn 2 14400'. The command is accepted by the switch but the actual output displayed from a 'show aging' will change from 15 seconds to 14400 seconds and vice versa but with no time pattern between the changes.

Below is the output from 'show aging'

NHCRA> (enable) sh cam aging 2

VLAN 2 aging time = 14400 sec

VLAN 2 aging time = 15 sec

Many thanks for your help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco