Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Campus design choice for VoIP?

Hi...

I have been reading a lot about the differences between routed campus design and other dedsigns based on spanning tree.

I am also in the process of providing a solution to a customer whose main campus consists of 1000 users and includes several remote sites connected via E1 links. I am planning to give a Core/Distribution/access layer routed solution, unless the customer opts for a collapsed core solution which will probably make the network no suited for a routed solution.

I would like to know which solution is best and what considerations I should keep in mind when giving either solution.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES

Re: Campus design choice for VoIP?

check out the following link on Designing Switched LAN Internetworks, hope this helps :

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/idg4/nd2012.htm

Silver

Re: Campus design choice for VoIP?

Usually, the terminology is or design concepts are based on three layers as you mentioned Core, Distribution, Access. Most companies go to the collapsed core where they combine the Distribution and Core layers funcionalities. The reason they go to this approach is budgets constraints. Otherwise the best would be following the first design concept.

Therefore, both of them do the job. Both of them are sound designs. However, you have tho check the requirements to spec the right devices and scale your desing according to the budget while providing the functionality.

Check what are the software requirements in terms of throughput, latency, delay. Check ports requirements and future scalability. Check for High availability etc....

I hope I could help you in some of the key points,

Remark: The above design concept of Distribution, core, and access layer is usually used in small to medium campuses. However, in enterprise environement you have to consider the enterprise composite design where the network is divided into modular layers each layer may contain core, distribution and access layer. This is included in CCDP.

Please rate if you find the above helpful,

Regards,

Views
Helpful
Replies