cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Campus Design.

loyalty
Level 1
Level 1

We are in the process of redesigning our Campus LAN and I am searching for information that would best suite our environment, I am considering using 6509s or 8540s at the core. I would appreciate any information that would help appreciate diffrences between both Switches and best environment to use them. Thanks for your help.

8 Replies 8

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

6500's with Sup2/MSFC2 is the way to go. You can find more info on these switches as well as 8500's at

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/44/jump/switches.shtml

thanks.

prk,

How can you make a suggestion on a design without hearing what the requirements are? Is the markup on a 6509 greater than on a 8540? What Protocols is the customer using? Does the customer need any ATm support?

-Bo

6500 does have support for ATM modules as well with a FLEXWAN module. I work for the TAC and markup is not my biggest concern. 6500 series is being actively worked on by our development for new hardware and software features and should scale well for future feature expansions

prk,

Great. Futures. I have been sold on enough of Cisco's vapor-ware to know that not all of these 'developments' come to fruition. All I am saying is that you should get more detail from your customers before providing a reccomended solution. Maybe a 4K is all they need for their purpose. Right now, we have no idea.

-Bo

Our Network enviroment is primarily that of a Data Center we have a User base of about a 1000 Host and our Servers are heavly utilised for Network access. We are looking for a solution that would guarantee Gigabit access to our Server, we intend to use a Server block underneath the Core as we are moving towards Server consolidation. Basically we want a solution that guarentees traffic to Servers is fast switched, one of the primary diffrences between the 8400 and 6500 is ATM support and we would like to exploite that advantage. At the moment we are considering a Collapsed backbone would a dual backbone be an overkill considering that our major concern is fast access to our Servers. Thanks for any advise.

Hi C MARINO ,

This is a great whitepaper on Cisco Campus Design that I would recommend reading. It provides design examples depending the size and needs of the network.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/so/neso/lnso/cpso/gcnd_wp.pdf

Also, I would consider working w/ a local integrator to help you w/ your design. If you don't have one, shoot me an email and I can get you in touch w/ your local SBC Network Design team.

C-ya,

Mike

Exactly my point, too. Bear in mind that even an empty 6500 box is going to cost you a truck load of maintenance - Cisco does't care whether you have one layer 2 module of 10/100 FE ports or gazillions of advanced layer 3 blades installed. We're using 4908G-L3 at the core and couldn't be happier.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco