cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Campus manager Topology Services polling interval

daniel.kline
Level 1
Level 1

I am using CiscoWorks 2000 and Campus Manager 3.2. I can view the topology map with Display View in Topology Services. But when I bounce a device the icon does not turn red. I want to adjust the polling interval in Topology Services so that I can detect when a link or device fails. Where do I adjust this parameter? And what is the minimum polling interval?

Thank You,

Dan

4 Replies 4

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Campus discovery is controlled via Server Configuration->Setup->ANI Server Admin->Discovery Schedule. Campus is not designed for what you're trying to do. If you have DFM installed, use that for Fault Management.

Thank you. I asssumed that was the case, based on the documentation I was able to find on the subject. Unfortunately, the minimum polling interval available in ANI is five minutes. My client had purchased the CiscoWorks suite prior to my involvement with the assumption that they could have their Operators monitor a network map and have a visual representation if devices failed. I suggested they needed something like OpenView for that functionality.

I did set the polling in DFM to 30 seconds, so an email will be sent within 1 minute if a device stops responding. The Operators can use the Topology map and CiscoView to diagnose issues once they have received a message from DFM.

Dan

As an alternative, you might consider using What's Up or What's Up Gold - it pings/polls devices and turns them green, yellow or red on a map, and it can poll at least every minute. We use it instead of Topology Services for detecting reachability problems. Unfortunately you have to maintain the map by hand. And if I remember right, What's Up is freeware or shareware.

Thank you for the response. That is a reasonable alternative.