cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a 7200 NPE 300 Router handle 10Mbit/s NAT

mesuti
Level 1
Level 1

Currently I have a Linux router which does NAT-ing of a traffic approximately 10Mbit/s properly, I wanted to replace it with a cisco router 7200 NPE 300 Router with 256 RAM, can it NAT that amount of traffic?

thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, and yes. I don't know what the performance would be, exactly, because it does add cycles to the switching path.

:-)

Russ.W

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

tbaranski
Level 4
Level 4

Good question. An NPE 300 can do around 300-400Mbps of traffic without ACLs or other performance-reducing features configured. It's rated at 353,000pps using CEF and 20,000pps when process-switching, so even if NAT is process-switched the CEF/process-switching pps ratio would lead one to believe that around 20Mbps of throughput should be possible.

But this is a very simplistic way of ballparking performance and unfortunately there's no way to know for sure what throughput you'll get without running a test yourself (or finding someone else who has already done so).

thanks for the reply,Can NAT be used with CEF, and does CEF substantially improve the performance?

So the Cisco 7200 NPE -300 should perform above 20 Mb if CEF is utilized?

Is this true?

thank you very much

Yes, and yes. I don't know what the performance would be, exactly, because it does add cycles to the switching path.

:-)

Russ.W

What if you add ACLs, VoIP traffic, routing protocols, MPLS, MPLSVPN etc? How can you run test on the lab so it wouldn't effect the network?