cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a multciast router be a RP and a receiver at same time?

jaquesr
Level 1
Level 1

This is a question about multicast. I´d like to know if a router configured to be a RP can also have receivers conencted to its interfaces, or the receivers should be at other routers? Also, even if it does not have receivers, being a RP, can I put one of its interfaces as a member of a group, using ip igmp static-group on one of the inetrfaces of the router? In reality, I´d like to send all the multicast traffic to only one router, that will send it to one of his interfaces, that will be transmitted by a satellite multicast system, so there will be no IGMP in the LAN. So, the idea is to configure ip igmp static-group in the LAN interface, and configure this router to be a RP, so everyone sends to him.

1 Reply 1

tstevens
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you can have receivers connected to the RP. You can also have a static-join under an interface in the RP.

Note that in PIM-SM with default configuration in all routers, non-RP routers are going to always try to join the shortest path tree as soon as possible after rx'ing traffic on the RP tree. So not all traffic will pass through the RP. There is a configuration (ip pim spt-threshold infinity) that will prevent routers from ever joining the SPT, they will always stay on the RPT.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: