cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can HSRP be configured on a BVI

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have two routers both with a FastEthernet interface and a serial interface. The serial interfaces connect to an ISP. I also have two hubs and router 1 connects to hub1 while router 2 connects to hub 2. I run HSRP between the two routers and track the serial interfaces to provide failover for the internet connection. I do not run a routing protocol to my ISP and hence if hub1 fails, while HSRP will make router2 the active router my ISP will still route all traffic to router1. To provide redundancy I was thinking of connecting router1 to hub2 via an ethernet interface and using IRB to create a BVI for router1. Both the Fastethernet and ethernet interfaces would be in the BVI providing redundancy at layer2.

To this end I have two questions/concerns.

1) Do Cisco 1538M hubs run spanning tree. i.e. if hub1 and hub2 are connected with a cross over cable and router1 is connected to both will spanning tree look after the loop in this design.

2) Can HSRP be configured on this BVI. According to the documentation I can find it says it was added in IOS 12.0(6) but I am running 12.0(18) and the command "standby" is not availble while in the bvi interface but is available in the ethernet interface mode.

1 Reply 1

Not applicable

It looks like the 1538 does not support

Spanning tree.

HSRP support for BVI interfaces was

added in 12.0(7)T; you should try a

12.1 mainline version.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco