cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I configure more than 16 HSRP groups on an MSFC2

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 6509 with dual MSFC 2's that I want to configure HSRP on. When I do it, everthing seems to work fine. Documentation I have found says that if I configure more that 16 groups, then I can't match Vlans to groups, but I dont care about that. Is there anything else wrong with configuring more that 16 groups on msfc's?

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

this limitation is with the sup2- which has the pfc2. If you have the sup1a with msfc2 then there is no such limitation. If you have the sup2, then this is the hardware limitaion. You can use the group number again like for vlan 1-16 - group 1-16 then for vlan 17-32 group 1-16 again etc. No problems using same number in the different vlans.

bsivasub
Level 4
Level 4

in later version, there is a check to prevent you from configuring more than 16 hsrp groups and so when you upgrade, you would run into issues with such a configuration. Also we would be using SAME mac address for the extra vlans and hence if you have other vendor switches which maintain a "system wide mac-address table", you would see the same mac in multiple vlans/ip addresses. Also i think we may actually sending the extra hsrp groups to the RP instead of hardware switching it. So essentially please follow the guidelines to avoid issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco