Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Can I load VLAN's via tftp to startup?

Can I load the 3 VLAN's I want to create on a router just by adding them to the tftp config I upload to startup? I keep getting an error.

Here is whats at the top of my tftp config file:

! ===============================================

! Company DHCP Remote Site Config Script

! Pay attention to Spaces and Non Spaces!!

! DHCP SITES MUST USE 12.4(4)4T CODE!!!!!

! ===============================================

!

vlan database

vlan 1

vlan 2

vlan 3

apply

exit

!

conf t

!

service timestamps debug datetime msec

service timestamps log datetime msec

service password-encryption

!

hostname 1234

!

boot-start-marker

boot-end-marker

no parser cache

no service config

~snip~

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
5 REPLIES

Re: Can I load VLAN's via tftp to startup?

Hi there,

You can do it - but not with that config. The config that you're putting in is for command line work. You need to remember that the vlan database is held in a different file to the running config.

If you're running a later version of IOS, then you can enter the vlan commands via config mode. Try somthing along the lines of:-

conf t

vlan 1

state active

vlan 2

state active...

end

Hope that helps,

Regards,

LH

Please rate all posts

This does not work. I have 12.4(9)T code. Anyone else have an idea on how this may work?

12.4(9)T means you have a router with an etherswitch network module. What kind of NM is it? If you have an NME-16ES or any NME, this is a switch module equivalent to an external 3750 and it has it's own IOS, configuration and NVRAM - it's a switch in a module.

Here are more info on that NME, in case it's what you have:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2797/products_feature_guide09186a0080415bae.html

Please rate helpful posts.

No NM on this unit. It is a Cisco 1811 with a built in 8 port switch. The IOS is all inclusive. Normally if I were to paste the vlan info I would paste it at the router# prompt. I want to be able to load the vlan infor via a tftp'd file. Any one else have an idea on how to do this?

hey there,

Rather than send up a "running-config" or "startup-config" file, have you tried sending up a vlan.dat file?

Grab the one off the router and then have a look at how it's done and see if you can add to it. Although - I've got a funny feeling that might not work.

As another option, I would write a script using perl or expect and have it log into the routers that you need to connect to and run the config file you are after. You could probably do the same with SecureCRT too.

Regards,

LH

Please rate all posts

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.