Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Can I modify 3750 register via config-register ?

I can't find this command in CLI prompt. I can do this on 4506 platform. What's difference between these two platform ?

thanks!

3 REPLIES

Re: Can I modify 3750 register via config-register ?

Hi.

Unlike some other Catalyst switches, there is no config-register command on the 3550. You cannot change the configuration register value from the default.

The 3550 automatically searches for a valid software image from which to boot. The search occurs even if you do not set a boot system statement. Set the boot statement anyway, as a precaution. The command to set a boot system statement is boot system flash: file_name .

You can specify multiple images in the boot statement if you separate the image names with a semicolon. The command is boot system flash: file1;file2 .

If you use a CMS image on the 3550, the Cisco IOS image (.bin file) extraction creates a directory for the image alone. The boot system command becomes boot system flash: directory/file_name .

Link : http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_example09186a0080169623.shtml

Rgds,

Naveen B

thanks for your reply.

But why cisco don't provide config-register like other platform. Is there different hardware archiecture or other reason ?

thanks

Cisco Employee

Because this platform is self contained, having a config-register is superfluous. In the event of a corrupt image, password recovery, or other need to access the switch rommon-like environment, the mode button on the front of the switch can be used as documented here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801a6694.html

HTH,

Bobby

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content