Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Can I run RIPV2 and OSPF at the same time on the several routers

I want to move away from RIP v2 run OSPF. Can I run both those protocols at the same time on the same devices then one at a time stop running RIP

Thanks

Al

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can I run RIPV2 and OSPF at the same time on the several rou

Yes, thats the correct way to migrate from one routing protocol to another. You will need to enable OSPF parallely on all routers in your network and then turn off RIP. OSPF has lesser (110) admin distance than RIP(120). So once you enable OSPF on an interface, RIP route will be removed and OSPF route will kick in. If you dont want this to happen, until all routers are configured with OSPF, you can give a "distance 90" on all RIP processes on all routers. and then once OSPF sees all the routes in its database(show ip ospf data), you can turn the rip process off (using "no router rip).

Both protocols (any routing protocol in general) can run at the same time on the same device.

2 REPLIES

Yes, thats the correct way to migrate from one routing protocol to another. You will need to enable OSPF parallely on all routers in your network and then turn off RIP. OSPF has lesser (110) admin distance than RIP(120). So once you enable OSPF on an interface, RIP route will be removed and OSPF route will kick in. If you dont want this to happen, until all routers are configured with OSPF, you can give a "distance 90" on all RIP processes on all routers. and then once OSPF sees all the routes in its database(show ip ospf data), you can turn the rip process off (using "no router rip).

Both protocols (any routing protocol in general) can run at the same time on the same device.

Thanks you confirmed my research.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content