Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Can I tunnel 802.1q tagged frames over 'untagged' network

So maybe the title is not that descriptive, here's what I want to do :

We use a carrier supplied network to connect a bunch of remote sites. This network does not support tagged ethernet frames, so we cannot propogate VLANS out to these sites. To impliment Clean Access we will need to support a variety of VLANS at these sites. Is there any way to tunnel tagged frames within an ethernet network that only supports untagged frames ? I've looked into L2TP but it does not seem to support this requirement. Any ideas ? Note that the end devices are currently a 6500 at the central site and 2950s at the remotes. If needed we would look at upgrading to 3550s or whatever.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dave

2 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Can I tunnel 802.1q tagged frames over 'untagged' network

Hi Dave,

Unless you are using some layer 3 infrastructure in the middle that supports Ethernet over MPLS or VPLS, I'm afraid that what you are asking is not possible. You will need to get some switches that support q-in-q.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Re: Can I tunnel 802.1q tagged frames over 'untagged' network

Thanks for the reply Paresh, sorry I could only rate your post a 3 :)

Unfortunately the network I must traverse is a simple layer 2 ethernet network apparently built with low-end Cisco switches (old 1900s as I recall). These is not our network, it belongs to the telco. We have the privledge of using it in exchange for a little money. It looks like I need to ask the carrier to do an ugrade.

Thanks again,

Dave

Views
Helpful
Replies