cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can i use copy and paste to config my router if the password is encrypted?

huangzhy
Level 1
Level 1

I have capture my router conifg by using microsoft hyperterminal program and by using neterm program. But i find that the config captured by hyperterminal looks like: "username renhert password 7 1056041A0615",(because i use "service password-encryption" command). And the config capture by the neterm looks like "username renhert password 7 <removed>"

Now if i want to reconfig my router,can i use the copy and paste method to do this ?Because i have forgot the actual password,so i have to copy the capture file including " username renhert password 7 1056041A0615" and "username renhert password 7 <removed>" commands and paste it to the router,but i don't know whether it's ok to do so.

Any help?

4 Replies 4

chandra.mouli
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The best option for you to reconfigure the Router is to Reboot the router and do the Password recover method.You can visit the weblink http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/ where password revocovery procedure is given clearly.I myself forgot the password a month ago and performed the procedure which took less than 10 mins.You need to do this connecting to the console port of the Router not by TELNET.

The copy and paste method wud not HELP.Before performing the Reboot procedure, you may visit the weblink http://www.securitystats.com/tools/ciscocrack.asp which may decrypt the encrypted password.If you are still connected to the Router go the config mode and use no service password encryption command.So Good luck to you.

uhabbe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

you can configure your router usig the captured config with the encrypted passwords like "7 1056041A0615" . That way the users keep their passwords.

The password recovery method only helps to recover from lost or forgotten passwords by confguring a new one.

Don Saling
Level 1
Level 1

renhert's password was xmccb

There are several tools you can use to break the weak password encryption. You can probably find a few out on google. These utilities only work for weak encryption as indicated by the "7" after the word "password". It will not work for MD5 hashes, which would start with a $ instead of a number.

Pasting in the encrypted password works.

ejaj
Level 1
Level 1

I assume that at present you can access previlege mode in your router. By doing copy and paste, you want to revert back to earlier configuration and you are afraid that earlier password is lost. CORRECT?

You do copy and paste of configuration. BUT before you quit the previlage mode, don' forget to reassign a new "enable password". This way you will overwrite the earlier password. After that save and quit.

Once you save and quit the configuration with a unknown password, there is no way execpt doing password recovery.

---ejaj