cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can MPLS aware Netflow ver. 9 be enabled on the catalyst switches 6500

lockup
Level 1
Level 1

HI, I'm working for KOREA TELECOM, and currently providing MPLS VPN.

We're planning to provide our customer with traffic report using NetFlow..

I read some documents which reads Netflow ver.9 can be enabled on Cisco GSR 12000 Series, but no mention about catalyst switches. So, I ' m curious about that Netflow ver 9 can be activated on catalyst 6500 series.. because the point where switch is located already have mpls encapsulated packet ( mpls vpn packet).

Thank you , in advance.

3 Replies 3

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

As far as I know, Cat 6500 supports Netflow version 8. Here, it is stated in the following document aswell:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/si/casi/ca6000/prodlit/1424_pp.pdf

Even the software advisor doesnt show up any IOS version supporting netflow version 9 on Cat6500.

any updates regarding this topic?

Thank you

NetFlow is now integral to Cisco 6500. A configuration we recommend is as below:

mls netflow     // This enables NetFlow on the Supervisor.

mls nde sender version 7

mls aging long 64  // This breaks up long-lived flows into (roughly) one-minute segments.

mls aging normal 32  // This ensures that flows that have finished are exported in a timely manner.

mls flow ip interface-full

mls nde interface

The  next two commands will help to enable NetFlow data export for  bridged  traffic which is optional. You can specify the list of VLANs  here to  enable bridged traffic.

ip flow ingress layer2-switched vlan

ip flow export layer2-switched vlan

Apart from this, NetFlow has to be enabled on the MSFC using the below commands.

ip flow egress       // This command has to be executed on all the L3/VLAN interfaces.

ip flow-export destination {hostname|ip_address} 9996  // The hostname or IP address of the flow server

ip flow-export source {interface} // The interface through which NetFlow packets are exported. eg: Loopback0

ip flow-export version 9

ip flow-cache timeout active 1

snmp-server ifindex persist

The new Cisco Flexible NetFlow actually allows for export of MPLS specific information (I believe it is stack lables) in addition to information on IP Address, port, etc. But you will need a tool that can support these additional fields. Otherwise you can view IP, port, protocol, etc related information from MPLS links.

Regards,

Don Thomas Jacob

ManageEngine NetFlow Analyzer

Regards, Don Thomas Jacob http://www.solarwinds.com/netflow-traffic-analyzer.aspx Head Geek @ SolarWinds NOTE: Please rate and close questions if you found any of the answers helpful.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco