cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can MPLS function without VPN/BGP

annayuzhao
Level 1
Level 1

Most of the document I have read all talking about using MPLS/VPN/BGP as a solution for enterprise network connection across the internet. Can MPLS be used without intergation with VPN and BGP?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can certainly use MPLS without VPN. VPN is actually one of the many services provided via MPLS. Some SPs implement MPLS for the sole purpose of deploying MPLS TE. You could also deploy MPLS to create an Internet route free Core. This consists basically of running BGP only on edge routers and having only IGP routes on you core routers. Traffic going from an ingress to egress router is carried in an MPLS LSP allowing your core routers to be Internet route free.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Just want to make sure I am clear with this:For example, if I have 5 routers and MPLS running on all these routers, and also they are running ospf. If I send traffic from the edge router, will they use MPLS to forward the traffic to the other end?

You're correct, traffic flowing between any of these 5 routers will be label switched.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

So in order to do a test to verify this very basic MPLS concept, I can setup a lab with couple routers with the limted MPLS configuration, no BGP, no VPN. that's it, isn't it? Thanks

That's correct. Just LDP and your IGP should suffice.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México