cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can msfc2 use slot0 on sup 1a

mark.weaver
Level 1
Level 1

I have sup-1a-2ge with msfc2. Can i boot an msfc image from the slot0.

I have read that it is not reccommended to boot catOS from slot0 because of a couple of bugs.

regards

mark

2 Replies 2

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Best pratice would be to boot from MSFC2 bootflash. However, you can boot from slot0: as long as you have a bootldr image in bootflash. There were few bugs associated with this and I suggest that you use newer IOS and bootldr images

Thanks,

do you have a link to where i can find out about the availability of bootloader images.

I recently purchased software upgrades but only got main images with them, do i need to buy these seperately - i do not have a cco login so i cannot download them.

I have been told that if you are booting an image from bootflash the msfc2 does not need a bootloader but when i tried to boot the msfc with an upgraded ios and no bootloader image or bootloader statement the msfc failed to boot and i had to enter a boot bootloader statement pointing to the main ios. Is this normal?

I am aware that a bootloader is needed if booting an ios from slot0.

regards

mark

p.s. the newest image i have is so large i can only ftp it in if i squeeze all other images from bootflash including the bootloader. I have only 16mb and do not want to upgrade unless i have to. bootflash

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: