cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can only ping in 1 direction accross vlan between 2 buildings

admartin
Level 1
Level 1

1 have 3 2924C in 2 buildings on the same vlan (531)I can ping ok from bldg 1 to bldg 2 ok, but not the reverse. I have 3 switches trunking between the 2 bldg (2 2912MF-XL and 1 2924C). I have followed the path back and verified spanning-tree is forwarding vlan531 on all ports. I have replaced 1 2924C. Moved around trunk ports on the 2912MF. Set no keepalives on ports per TAC. The trunk ports are on switches that are part of another VTP Domain.I have updated the IOS on all of them to the latest version. Anybody got any idea's?

8 Replies 8

rjackson
Level 5
Level 5

can cdp see the switch in both directions? Where are you pinging from?

Checked CDP on all switches in the path. They are all known to each other. I can ping from building 1 to building 2 but not from bldg 2 to bldg 1.

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

try clearing ip redirects on all the switches involved , you may have a bogus entry.

Tried that. This VLAN is not being routed in our core. Strictly switching only on this VLAN only.

are you pinging from the switches or devices on the switches or both. It sounds like a configuration problem on the host in building 2. With a bad mask could respond to pings but when it tries to generate them it would fail.

Both. I am pinging from my laptop inserted into the 2924 and using their pc's in both buildings. I found several pc's misconfigured on the mask but cleaned them out several weeks ago.

I've noticed "one-direction ping" problem several times and there was always a firewall involved in it - either a firewall protected a site or a personal firewall installed on the PC by a "too active" user.

Are you able to ping from a switch in one building to a switch in the other building in both directions? If yes, the problem is on the PC. If not, check if the traffic is really switched - any router could bring an ACL. If the problem still persists try to connect a protocol analyzer and check where exactly the ping frames are lost.

Regards,

Milan

A co-worker found the problem!!(yeah) We turned VTP Prunning off for VLAN 531 and it fixed the problem. Definately a strange problem..VTP Pruning--I will never forget that one. Thanks for your help....