Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't accessPCs on the same vlan on different Catalyst 5500 switches

pokwan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a problem where PCs on switch A can't see PCs on Switch B on vlan 15 (switches connected via ATM backbone). PCs on both switches can access other vlans on other switches. Both the switches themselves can ping all the IPs on vlan 15 (from vlan 1).

I did a sh trunk, sh conf, sh test, get on to the LANE module, they looked fine.

However,

I did a sh cam dy and on switch A, and I have duplicate cam entries but with different vlans.

VLAN Dest MAC/Route Des Destination Ports or VCs / [Protocol Type]

---- ------------------ ----------------------------------------------------

217 00-04-23-0e-b1-34 2/46 [ALL]

15 00-04-23-0e-b1-34 2/212 [ALL]

217 00-04-75-51-1f-1c 2/46 [ALL]

15 00-04-75-51-1f-1c 2/212 [ALL]

Is the above duplicate entries a problem? These are PCs on vlan 15 on Switch B. There are entries for vlan 217 (the PCs are on vlan 15). What exactly does it mean?

I did the same on Switch B, with PCs on Switch A and I only have 1 entry each.

VLAN Dest MAC/Route Des Destination Ports or VCs / [Protocol Type]

---- ------------------ ----------------------------------------------------

15 00-90-27-2e-f2-3b 2/292 [ALL]

15 00-04-23-12-b6-c0 2/292 [ALL]

This output is what I expected to see.

I must be missing something here. Can someone explain. Could this be a cause to the problem? What else should I be checking?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

j-block
Level 4
Level 4

The duplicate entries are okay as they are from different VLANs. This sounds like a routing configuration issue.

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply.

Can you explain on the duplicate entries from different VLANS? I am not sure how and when they will be duplicate entries.

To resolve my problem, I have reset both the switches and they are working fine now. I did a show cam on the mac addresses after the reset and the duplicate entries are gone. As the IP address belongs to VLAN 15, how did the second entry come from VLAN 217? Can you please explain.

Thanks.