Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't connect to Cisco 1900 Switch with DB9 console port

sigreenb
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am studying towards a CCNA and recently purchased a second-hand 1900 Switch. This is an old model with a DB9 console port, not an RJ45. Consequently, the standard rollover cable in conjunction with a DB9-RJ45 adaptor does not work. When connecting to the port, all I see are AT modem command strings. My research thus far has suggested that these switches require a special pinout configuration for the console cable. Can anyone confirm the pinout configuration so I can create my own cable?

Many Thanks,

Steve.

3 Replies 3

Hello Steve,

check this link for the pinout configuration:

CISCO CATALYST 1900 SERIES SWITCHES

Connectors and Cables

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps574/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007f105.html#xtocid151354

Regards,

GP

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Save yourself some grief and head to Radio shack and get a db9 null modem adaptor ($5) . Using this with a straight thru cable should get you in . This what I use all the time .

gharkins
Level 1
Level 1

I would VERY much like to know how to do this also. I even gone as far to reload firmware (5.37) via xmodem. I can get to the diag menu and have reset factory defaults and console port settings. still get AT commands when trying to continue with startup. I have to assume that if you can communicate with the diag. menu the cabling should be right. I've look at the pinouts in the manual with no luck. I am using a terminal adapter on both ends with a crossover cable and get to the diag fine.

Gary