Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

can't connect two 4500's via full duplex.

I have 2 4507's with dual sup IV's and 5 WS-X4448-GB-RJ45 blades.

I can't seem to be able to link the two switches together with a full duplex copper port at any speed. I can link at 10mbit/half and 100mbit/half. If I try and set the both ends to 100/full or even 10/full the interfaces will never come up. They also won't link with both ends set to auto?

Any idea's? I have never had such a problem before. The cable distance is 268 feet and is cat 6. It consists of a couple of patch cables and some cross connects. Could it be a distance issue?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES

Re: can't connect two 4500's via full duplex.

Clayton,

I suggest you subsitute one end of the switch port with a PC and see if you can run 100 meg full duplex ( assuming the NIC you use is cable of 100 meg full duplex).

All Cisco Products have been tested using Cat5 and 5e cabling.

The problem can be cabling between the patch panels or simply the Cat6 cabling.

Regards

Jason Chan

Thanks for your response.

I can indeed establish a 100mbit full duplex with my laptop using the same cable runs. The only difference is I substitue a 5 foot patch cable with one that is not crossed. One thing to note is that only 2 pairs are cross-connected. Are the line cards wanting to use 4 pair even for 100mbit full duplex between the two switches?

Clayton,

The line card only runs 2 pairs of cabling and does not use 4 pairs.

If you can run 100 Meg full duplex from both ends and the ports does not indicate errors then this is indeed strange.

If there is a distance problem between the two switches, then we should be getting late collisions. I know the switchports are tested with cat5 and cat5e cabling but not cat6.

Do you think you can run a cat5 cabling end to end between the two switches as a test ? Can you cut and paste the show interface of the ports so that I can see the errors ?

thanks

Jason Chan

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content