cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't login to 2600 router

John Johnson
Level 1
Level 1

I recently started to work for a company that had to suddenly terminate their last network manager. Problem is that he left without any knowledge transfer (ie passwords and such), he configured aaa before he left and now no one including myself can login to the router. My question is if I run the password recovery process for the router will it give me the option to reset the aaa passwords (like on the pix) or only the secret and enable passwords? And if it is only the enable and secret passwords how do I access my router with aaa enabled?

Thanks in Advance

John

5 Replies 5

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi John,

As what I am aware that aaa password and user name is configured on tacacs server so you will not be able to recover that from router but what you can do is you can recover the local user name and password and also enable secret password and diconnect the tacacs connection for sometime so that your router can fall back to local user name and passeword if and only if aaa fallback to local method is cofigured.

If you have the backup of your router config somewhere you can verify that.

HTH

Ankur

Ankur,

Thanks for the info, but this person left under suspicious circumstances and was not very good at any type of documentation or backup. So I am at a loss for how he configured this router. To my knowledge there is no tacacs server on the network so does this mean that the username and password is configured locally?

Thanks

John

Hi John,

If there is no tacacs or radius server in network and still it is asking for user name then yes it is configured locally.

Regards,

Ankur

Thanks Ankur I will try tonight. Only questions I have left is about recovering username and password. I have used this procedure to gain access to enable, but what is the procedure for recovering the username and password?

Thanks

John

Hi John,

It remains the same once you boot the router from rommon skipping the nvram config and change the password there itself you can chnage the username and password both via issuing the command

username password

also change the enable secret and wr mem

and also change the config reg value back to 0x2102 and wr mem and reload it and it wil be ok.

best of luck and update if it works for you.

Regards,

Ankur