cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't Ping Cat 4000

techmail
Level 1
Level 1

We have 2 Cat 4000 96 port switches. I changed the port duplex and speed for a standard port and all of sudden I couldn't ping this switch anymore? Traffice still flows through the switch .

Why would this happen?

Is there a config to disable telnet and ping on a Cisco Switch?

4 Replies 4

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What was attached to the port in question?

Which VLAN was the management IP of the switch in? Are there other ports in this VLAN?

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

console in to the switch, get the following:

show interface >> What vlan is the sc0? what is it's IP address?

show ip route >> to find out what is the default-gateway for this switch in case the PC is in different vlan.

Get a PC directly connected to this switch:

1.What port is the pc connected to" show port x/x

2. show cam dynamic x/x >> the PC port, confirm this is the port.

3. What vlan is the port in? Waht ip address is the PC?

Please rate all posts.

techmail
Level 1
Level 1

All ports are part of the same vlan (vlan1).

I will check out all the requested info and report back tomorrow.

This was the senario. I replaced a bogus 3com switch yesterday. This 3com switch attaches to the cisco in question. The ports that attached the two, on the 3com, was reporting 10A at Half, so I manually changed it to 100F.

The Cisco didn't auto adjust to the settings for that port. When I looked at the port on cisco it reported 10h. So I changed it 100F. BANG. Can't ping the switch...and I can't ping a different cat 4000.

The second Cat 4000 I didn't even touch? The two 4000's are connected by fiber, but the 3com is not.

I inherited this network.

techmail
Level 1
Level 1

I solved this problem:

The port I changed to FULL 100 was 2/37. This port coincidently was the ME1 port and was plugged into the 10-base t port on this switch.

The ME1 port was configured not the SC0 port. I downed the ME1 port and configured the SC0 port and brought it up.

All good.

Thanks for the clues that let me to this answer.