Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't PING my Interfaces

rkishanb
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All & Greetings.

I have 3 2500 series routers properly connected and have configured the serial int with proper IP addresses. I can ping from any int on one router to any int on any other router. And, thisis true of any of the 3 routers that I have. However, I cannot ping my own serial int on my router. [so say if I have R1, R2, R3, I can ping from R1 the serial int of R2 and R3. But not the ser int of R1.]

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

kishan

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Can you input ur configs and topology for further troubleshooting.

Give a debug ip packet (since its lab, it wont you dont need worry abt the command's impact) and see what messages you are getting. (Or a debug ip icmp).

Once the debug commands are enabled, try pinging your own interface.

Do you have access-lists on any of the routers ?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I will try and address the above 3 paras as 3 qs and I hope I make sense.

First, 'input ur configs ...', can you please elaborate some - meanin how and what purpose, etc.

Second, '.. debug ip packet ...' how / why etc.

Third, no, there are no access lists - standard or extended.

Finally, I was able to ping ser int on other routers!

Hope this helps. Thanks,

kishan

t.hadarson
Level 1
Level 1

You can not ping your own interface if it´s configured as frame-relay because the router need a mapping between layer-two to layer-three for every destination.

Look at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk237/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a008009457a.shtml

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Kishan,

Check if you have enabled Unicast RPF on your interfaces. If you enable that, you wont be able to ping your own interface. Try doing a "no ip verify unicast reverse-path" on your serial interfaces.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: