cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping or telnet to Cat 2950 after copying startup config to it.

dfo-infra
Level 1
Level 1

I had a need to replace a 2950, so I copied the startup config of the old switch to a file, which I then copied onto the new 2950. The switch passes traffic, and when I console into it all the parameters are correct, but I can't telnet to or ping it.

I have had this experience with another 2950, except I copied the config from a 3548. Same results in both cases.

Both switches are conneceted to other switches with Stacking GBIC's.

I tried removing the address and re-applying it. I also tried turning the interface (VLAN) up and down ('shut' and 'no shut').

14 Replies 14

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you post the output of sh run and "sh ip int brief"

I have attached a text file called "sho run.txt".

What about the configuration of your vlans on this switch? Is this switch set in client, server or transparent mode? If you do a show vlan, do your vlans match up? What about the output from show vtp status?

Josh

Do a "show vlan" , not a show interface vlan " and see if vlan 200 show up and active . If you just copied a file to the startup config this does not recreate the vlan database file and you may be missing your layer 2 vlan info that should be there . Would also make sure vlan 40 shows up and active also.

I will answer both of the previous replies at once

I had thought about the vlan database before, but AFAIK just entering it ('vlan database' from the command line, then CTRL-Z) should fix that. Both VLAN 40 and 200 show up as active.

The switch is in server mode. It shows pruning mode disabled. This matches the vlan database info on another 2950 that doesn't have these problems.

The last line of the 'sho vtp stat' command says:

"Local updater ID is 10.16.200.42 on interface Vl200 (lowest number VLAN interface found)."

This is the IP address of the switch itself (Vlan 200).

Another thing I (just) noticed, is that I can't ping anything off the switch.

Thanks for your good suggestions.

If you can, post your running config, minus all the secret stuff, from this switch and the switch is connecting to it would be a little easier to see where the problem is. I assume you are trunking between the two switches and the trunk is configured correctly? Post your configs if you would and we can go from there.

If the trunk is up , can you ping your default gateway on vlan 200, you should be able to as this is on the same network . You don't mention if you are running client/server or transparent mode . If you can ping the default gateway on the L3 router that feeds the 2950 then I would start looking up above and look at the trunk configs .If you do a "show interface status " interface G1/0 should show as being a trunk. I'll assume that when you do a "show interface trunk" that the trunk looks up and all vlans are allowed across the trunk . Also verify that the vtp domain names match on both sides.

I thought you were on to something with the VTP domain name, but fixing that problem (there was no domain name set on the 2950) didn't solve my main problem.

The Cat 6509 that the 2950 uplinks to is in transparent mode and the 2950 is in server mode. I assume they both need to be in transparent mode, but how do I change it on the 2950?

To change it on the 2950 , just go into config mode and enter "vtp mode transparent" . Save the config.

don.fortes
Level 1
Level 1

Do you get the password prompt or anything when telnetting to the device? Have you rebooted the switch since having the problem?

No, I get timed out whether I ping or telnet to it.

Thanks for all your fine suggestions, everyone. VTP is now configured correctly. However, it didn't solve my problem.

I think the problem lies with spanning-tree. When I do a 'sho spanning-tree vlan 200' command, I get a message saying there is no information. When I do the same command for VLan 40, I get the root bridge cost, this bridge cost, etc.

(VLan 200 is my management VLan, VLan 40 is the client VLan).

The question is, how do I add VLan 200 to spanning-tree?

If you do a "show vlan" does vlan 200 show up and in the active state ? If yes then your spanning tree information for vlan 200 won't show up until you get a active port assigned to vlan 200 .

That fixed it! I put a port into VLan 200 and got a message saying VLan 200 does not exist, creating VLan 200. I can now ping and telnet to and from the switch.

Thanks loads for all your help, everyone!!!

Not sure at this point , though I do find it interesting that the layer 2 vlan info does not show up in your running config . Normally it shows up near the top of the config , it just shows up as . For the heck of it try putting in the info again.

Config t , vlan 200 ,hit enter. Then do the same for vlan 40 and see if it shows up .

vlan 200

vlan 40

interface FastEthernet0/1

switchport access vlan 1

switchport mode access

speed 100

duplex full

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface FastEthernet0/2

switchport access vlan 1

switchport mode access

speed 100

duplex full

spanning-tree portfast

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: