cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cannot access ftp on ea6500 nas

wdmodlin1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a linksys/cisco router in my home, with a USB drive accessible to all users on the network.   The router is associated with a "smart WiFi" account, and I can access it over the internet with no problems, to view or possibly change the router settings.

I turned on FTP access, hoping to be able to occasionally retrieve a file from the attached USB drive when away from home.  It is my understanding that this is supposed to work, but I have little experience with or knowledge of such things.

On the "External Storage" page it says FTP access is on, and that the FTP server name is Ciscoxxxxx.   (I think xxxxx is my router serial number.)

The service is on the default port 21.

The Ciscoxxxxx name is accessible from the internal network.

But when I try "ftp://Ciscoxxxxx"  in my browser when away from home, it cannot resolve that name.   DNS doesn't know about it.  Can't ping it.

What am I missing?

I am confused that the external storage status page shows an address of 192.168.1.27 for the FTP server, while the router has assigned 10.124.77.xxx addresses to everything else on my local network.  I assume that the 192.168 subnet is the range allocated by the DSL modem/router that is giving me internet access.   I expected to find my modem's WAN address there... but as I said I don't really know much about this stuff.

Am I supposed to disable DHCP on either the DSL router or the EA6500? 

When I tried to use the EA6500 in bridge mode, hoping that letting the DSL modem handle the addressing would resolve the problem, that completely disabled all the EA6500 functions, so the NAS drive is no longer available.  So that does not work. 

Help?

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: