cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot browse network in different Vlans

mmali
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new network with two core 6509 and 30 edge switches.

and Windows 2000 server dns server wins server.

clients windows 2000 Pro. DHCP Enabled.

my problem is that computers in different vlan cannot browse the network.

i can reach my ip address, but cannot reach my name.

6 Replies 6

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

Are you sure that your DHCP clients are getting the WINS servers entered into the network interface card properties, in TCP/IP properties. Sounds like WINs is the culprit here. Go into your NIC properties and see if the correct WINS servers are listed. Also you can check your WINS service to ensure hosts are properly registering.

Hope this helps,

Don

Hi

Clients are getting the right Wins server ip address in TCP/IP properties,

wins server database is fine with all the registered client name.

should i configure ip dns in the core switch.

I do not think that will help too. I have almost the same setup. An IP helper on every vlan (subnet). What I have added if a no IP forward for the netbios stuff.

no ip forward-protocol udp netbios-ns

no ip forward-protocol udp netbios-dgm

So that the helper will not forward this kind of broadcasts but that is in your case not the issue. Can't you do some debugging on the network (in the core using accesslists and debug ip packet) to see what happens with the wins requests? Good luck!

pgcampbell
Level 1
Level 1

The different VLAN's are in effect separate segments, subnets and broadcast domains, I have the same setup but with Catalyst 4006's.

You must allow helper addresses on each VLAN AND you MUST allow UDP netbios ports.

The helper address is the address of your DHCP/WINS server.

The MS Windows browser function relies on NETBIOS.

ip forward-protocol udp 138

ip forward-protocol udp 139

wbaker17
Level 1
Level 1

I agree with Donald and more specifically with Philip. You must forward the netbios broadcast via the helper address. Can you post a portion of the router config for this scenario?

Thanks

tmasho
Level 1
Level 1

We have the same Network system over 45 VLAN, you need to check one Windows 2000 server DNS and Wins and compare with Win2K Pro. DNS and WINS (ipconfig /all). For testing use static DNS and WINs on Win2k-Pro also check DNS suffix for this connection XXXX.com?.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: