cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot Connect to New Switch

heath.mason
Level 1
Level 1

I just replaced a dead 3550 with a new one. I used the last backup config I had for the switch and uploaded it using TFTP. Everything looks good, but I can't ping the switch remotely from my desktop. I can't ping my workstation from the switch either. I can however, ping the new switch from another switch in the stack. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Looks like the VLAN interface on your 3550 and the VLAN of your workstation are different. Check to see if routing between these VLANs is working fine. If it is, check for any configuration issues on intermediate devices.

wbenton-0
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have routing enabled in the 3550?

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Heath,

Can you check if you have the vlans present in your vlan database.

Just check as I think when you have copied your old config from the tftp server to the switch it might not have ceated the vlans in your vlan database and so the logical interfaces must be down.

Just check if vlans are not present you can just turn your switch VTP status to transparent mode and add the vlans in vlan database.

HTH

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: