Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Cannot get to Internet via Vlans...

All of the issues are resolved with going from layer 2 to layer 3, by introducing a cs-4506 into our layer 2 (flat) network, except I cannot get out on the Internet via any vlan except vlan1. My default gateway on a 4506 is my pix firewall, whose default route is to our isp's routers. Before introducing the cs-4506, the pix was the campus gateway and it worked fine. Now we are just going through the cs-4506, then to the pix and then to our isp's router to the Internet. I have tested and tested and do not understand why this does not work.

Any advice or thoughts are greatly welcome. TIA, Gary

2 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Cannot get to Internet via Vlans...

Where is the internet connected in on the 4506 and what is the address of the firewall ???? Get rid of the current static route you have in their and put ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 198.137.151.XXX , where XXX is the address on the far end of this connection (firewall) .

Re: Cannot get to Internet via Vlans...

Hi Gary,

In addition to Glens post I would like to add few more inputs on this.

Howz your setup connected. Please give us a brief diagram.

I assume the setup is :

LAN--> PIX--> ISP Router

The most important point here is that you have to add the routes back to your Vlans on both Pix and router.It all depends how you are advertising your LAN outside of the PIX.

On your router,

ip route

ip route

... and so on..

On your PIX,

route inside < Next hop ip of the vlan interface >

route inside < Next hop ip of the vlan interface >

... and so on..

You have to add the default route on your switch to pass all the traffic to PIX inside interface.

HTH,

-amit singh

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content