Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

cannot ping or telnet to new 2948G switch

I just installed a new 2948G switch and assigned the me1 interface an IP address... it's working fine (except for a small blip yesterday due to a duplicate IP address - oops)

I cannot ping the switch's IP address, nor can I telnet to it from the same subnet. if I console into the switch, i cannot ping anything FROM the switch. If I issue a "show arp" command I get NOTHING.

this doesn't make any sense. The switch is running CatOS4000.

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: cannot ping or telnet to new 2948G switch

Do you have a copper cable connected to the me1 interface on the switch ? If so, the light is green ? What's the status of the port connected at the other end of this cable ?

Can you post the switch config ?

Thanks

Purple

Re: cannot ping or telnet to new 2948G switch

make sure the default gateway is correct . Also you cannot have both the SC0 interface and the ME1 interface active at the same time and the Sc0 is the active one by default because that is what most people use . Shutdown the SC0 interface if it is still active and make sure the ME is up . "set interface sc0 down" . A show interface command will show you the status of both these interfaces. "set int me1 up"

Also by using the me1 interface you are limiting the switch ,below is a little blurb out of the catos config guide.

The in-band (sc0) management interface is connected to the switching fabric and participates in all of the functions of a normal switch port, such as spanning tree, Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP), and VLAN membership. The out-of-band management interfaces (me1 and sl0) are not connected to the switching fabric and do not participate in any of these functions.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content