Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

mlu

cant ping statically natted address from the same LAN

hi:

i have a server behind firewall and it was statically natted. it works fine and i can ping it (xxx.xxx.190.143) from melbourne, but i can't ping it from the same LAN (in the same room!) on my PC (xxx.xxx.190.145). any ideas?

thanks

4 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: cant ping statically natted address from the same LAN

When you are on the same LAN, you must use the internal (un-NATed) address of the server, not the external address. Is this the address you are trying to ping?

Mark

mlu

sorry. let me make it clear. the xxx.xxx.190.143 is public, routable ip address for the NATed server. xxx.xxx.190.145 is the public ip address for my pc (my pc is on the internet, for the testing purpose). I ma trying to ping xxx.xxx.190.143 from the same LAN (untrusted side of the firewall). no problem from WAN side (internet) but not from the segmenet of xxx.xxx.190.0, which are routable ip addresses.

still need to ping un natted address on the 190.0 subnet, pix has an alias command to solve this problem, not sure if ios has similiar command. usually with this scenario, you set up split dns.

mlu

thanks. but i have no problem to ping xxx.xxx.190.143 from melbourne; i can even ssh into (through the firewall) that box from melbourne, but i can't see it on the same xxx.xxx.190.0 segment (right outside of the firewall). strange

Views
Helpful
Replies