cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CAR on Cisco 7200

professionale
Level 1
Level 1

I' ve tried with success to set a reserved bandwidth for 2 different lan passing throught the 7200 serial.

Any know how to set a dynamic Car to use all the available bandwidth in every moment?

Cause I' v seen this kind division is static!

Here what i ve configured on this serial!

rate-limit input access-group 102 1096000 256000 350000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

rate-limit input access-group 103 896000 128000 256000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

rate-limit output access-group 2 1096000 256000 350000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

rate-limit output access-group 3 896000 128000 256000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

7 Replies 7

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

policing traffic in it nature is fixed. One way you could do this was to mark your traffic inbound with the policer rather than dropping it. In the simplist case you would have traffic marked transmit and traffic marked drop eligible. Kinda like frame relay.

You could then use something like the the CBWFQ outbound passing the tranmit traffic though a form of priority queing like the BANDWIDTH statement and let the rest go to the default qeuue which will get anything left over.

I misread your post.

To use the solution I proposed you will need to do your marking on the interfaces that the traffic enters the router. Policing inbound on a serial link that is expext to get to 100% will not be very effective. The far end router will have already dropped packets based on its configuration which may not be the correct packets.

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hello,

The problem description sounds like policing is not required, but queueing. As far as I understand you want to give minimum bandwidth guarantees to each LAN and allow for utilizing up to the max bandwidth available.

CBWFQ will do exactly that. An example config:

ip cef

class-map match-all LAN1

match interface FastEthernet0/1

class-map match-all LAN2

match interface FastEthernet0/2

class-map match-all class-default

match any

policy-map 4SerialOUT

class LAN1

bandwidth percent 30

class LAN2

bandwidth percent 30

class class-default

fair-queue

interface Serial1/0

bandwidth 1024

service-policy output 4SerialOUT

This would guarantee 30% of the bandwidth at the Serial to all traffic from LAN1 and 30% to LAN2. In case there is no other traffic each LAN could use the full Serial bandwidth. You would need to adjust numbers and interfaces to your needs.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

I know CBWFQ will reduce the available bandwidth to 75%, 25% used for controlling traffic, is it correct?

True but you can change it using max-reserved-bandwidth 100 on the serial interface. Then it will reserve the entire link bandwidth. MQC is the way to go for you.

Hello,

CBWFQ will reserve 25% of the available bandwidth for control traffic and the default class, IF (!) there is such traffic. This means even with default settings f.e. your LAN1 can get 100% of your serial. The idea is however: don´t drop your Layer2 keepalives, routing updates etc. because of customer traffic! So better reserve something or your network breaks. If no routing updates are present all the bandwidth can be utilized by customer traffic.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

I' ve applyed this configuration:

class-map match-all Lan1

match input-interface ethernet 0/0

exit

class-map match-all Lan2

match input-interface fastethernet 2/1

exit

policy-map serialOUT

class Lan1

bandwidth percent 55

queue-limit 20

class Lan2

bandwidth percent 35

queue-limit 20

class class-default

fair queue

int serial 1/0

service-policy output serialOUT

max-reserved-bandwidth 90

I' ve tried to apply a new policy in input but it dont run

How i can do this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: