cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 2970 Switch Configuration

MichaelMarshall
Level 1
Level 1

We have been using Cat 2950 switches and they have worked very well for us. We just bought 2 Cat 2970 switches. I am trying to add them to our network, but they won't play nice. Initially, I couldn't get them to pass any traffic. After a bunch of tinkering, I finally got the trunk link up, but I still can't get get the hosts to ping past the new switch. The old switches are running IOS 12.1 and the new ones run 12.2. Is there anything that changed between versions that I need to look at?

4 Replies 4

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Michael,

If it is only a connectivity issue then I am sure it is not related to IOS code.

Make sure trunk is up, vlans allowed list match on both the ends and native vlas also matches.

If the 2 switches are in same vlan try to initiate the ping from one switch to another and see the results.

I mean just check basic connectivity issues.

HTH

Ankur

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Shouldn't be any difference . Checked things like what is allowed across the trunk on "both" sides . Make sure the layer 2 vlan was created on the switch not just put on the switchports . Your vlans should show up with the "show vlan" command . Check default gateway on clients ...

I think I may have solved the problem. I put a 2950 in its place and got it working, now I need to replace the 2970 and make sure it still works. I had two problems. First, I assigned the wrong IP address to the switch. Second, I forgot I assigned a VTP password, so the VLAN database wasn't being received by the switch.

michaelc0n
Level 1
Level 1

In regards to your "tinkering" I would first suggest clearing out (erase start) the switch and reloading it. Now that you know how to setup the TRUNK portion, config that first. Once the trunk/uplink are showing UP/UP begin further troubleshooting...ping, debug. Also, is STP playing any factor? Can you add the running config to this post to assist further & well as how many vlans or if VTP is implemented. Finally, can you paste a running-config of a neighboring SW? Thx

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: