Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cat 4003 vtp transparent mode problem

I have a 4003 switch on my network that keeps going to transparent mode. I run all of my switches in server mode. When I change the switch from transparent to server mode so that it is like the rest of the switches on the network,....it changes itself back to transparent mode.

Anyone have sugestions to fix this ???

Thanks,

Rick

2 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: Cat 4003 vtp transparent mode problem

Hello,

not sure what you have already tried so here are some suggestions:

Make sure that the VTP domain name is the same as on the other switches (keep in mind that the domain name is case-sensitive). Also, make sure that you run the same VTP version on all switches, you can configure e.g. version 2 on a server switch and it will propagate throughout the VTP domain:

Switch(vlan)# vtp v2-mode

If you configure VTP version 2, make sure that your ´problem´ switch is version 2 capable. Can you post the output of the show vtp status command for your 4003 ?

Regards,

Georg

Bronze

Re: Cat 4003 vtp transparent mode problem

Check to see if the switch is vunerable the bug mentioned in the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/21.html#catos_switch_changes

--

--

A recent change in CatOS incorporated a protective feature that causes a CatOS switch to go into VTP Transparent mode in order to prevent the possibility of a switch reset due to a Watch Dog Timeout. This change is documented in Cisco bug IDs CSCdu32627 ( registered customers only) and CSCdv77448 ( registered customers only) .

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content