Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cat 4006 S3 - Attached hosts Net access very slow prior to reboot

I have a CAT 4006 sup III running 12.1(11b)EW1 with a number of servers attached. Users started having problems accessing servers. After investigating all the impacted servers were connected to the same switch. The switch was appeared to be operating normally. Show proc cpu, show proc mem, show logging, and ping tests all normal. Warm booted switch and asics on sup failed bootup diag. Cold boot of the switch got it back up and running. Cisco Tac reviewed the post problem sh tech with no findings.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES

Re: Cat 4006 S3 - Attached hosts Net access very slow prior to r

No L2 loops on the net right?

Isolated or re-occuring incident?

Is there any that refers to Astro or incrementing "InvalidPacketBufferCrcs=" ? -sh nvramenv1

If it was an Asic stub timeout, ask TAC to perform an EFA. A while back, there was a mfg. range of cat4 sups that had issues.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00801c9221.shtml

No L2 loops and it was a hopefully isolated incident. We have to switches that are identical in hardware and IOS and only one was impacted.

clients of systems attached to the switch would have intermittently slow or non existent access to the host systems. Problems included saving files on network drives, email down, very slow or failed logins, application launches were slow or failed.

No messages were showing up in the switch log, let alone messages referred in the tech note. We have had asic issues on line cards in the past. Those instances were on different switches and created volumes of errors.

Layer 2 seemed fine. Pings were worked without fail. Console broadcast messages from host systems on the impacted switches made it out to clients.

Keep thinking it wasn't a switch problem but the reboot did fix the issue.

I will be replacing the sup card and doing a IOS upgrade this weekend.

Purple

More than likely a code issue , that is pretty old code it is running and should be upgraded , could be anything , possibly a memory leak or something like that.

I am going to upgrade the IOS and replace the sup card this weekend unless the problem occurs again.

I wish I could have isolated the problem but have decided to upgrade and or replace all possible culprits.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content