Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

v.j

cat 4006 with L3

The cat 4006 with supII and L3 module is configured with portchanneling and trunking on the internal gbic ports through the switch.And correspondingly portchanneling is done on the two L3 internal GBIC ports on router.There are two vlans configured(10,20) with subinterface in the portchannel one(1).NOw there are 3 3524switches with vlan 10 configured.Two of the 3524 are connected to the GBIC on the Sup engine.Now can we use one of the GBIC in L3 module as an uplink to the 3rd switch if so how should we go ahead with configuration?But is it good design to use the L3 GBIC port as an Uplink to the 3rd 3524 in the same vlan 10.

4 REPLIES

Re: cat 4006 with L3

you must set your trunk as non nego on switch because L3 doesn't understand dtp

set trunk x/1-2 on nonnego

you should perform bridging between giga ports

on layer 3

bridge 1 protocol IEEE

int giga 1.10

encap dot1q 10

bridge-group 1

int port chan 1.10

bridge-group 1

v.j

Hi a.diot,Thanks i tried..Its working :)But does this bridging is having any disadvantage?I mean will the broadcast be restricted to the vlan??

I disagree with the last guy that replied to the email. With briding, you are opening up a can of worms for yourself. You can connect two switches together, just enable trunking on both of them. Make sure that they are on the same vtp domain, etc. You can even restrict what vlan crosses that trunk if you want to go that route... But bridging. I don't know.

v.j

Hi melvin,i hope u mean to say that bridging will allow unnecessary broadcast.But in this case,the switch is connected to a routed port externally and i hope wat you say will apply only for a datalink connection.

Views
Helpful
Replies