cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CAT 4507-R no support RSTP ???!?!

william2u
Level 1
Level 1

hi fren, 4507 not support RSTP for stp ??? coz i need it to connect to other switch .....

BTN_CORE_1(config)#

5d19h: %SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR: Received BPDU with inconsistent peer vlan id 100 on GigabitEthernet4/1 VLAN500.

5d19h: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_PEER: Blocking GigabitEthernet4/1 on VLAN0100. Inconsistent peer vlan.

5d19h: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_LOCAL: Blocking GigabitEthernet4/1 on VLAN0500. Inconsistent local vlan.

5d19h: %SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR: Received BPDU with inconsistent peer vlan id 100 on GigabitEthernet4/1 VLAN400.

5d19h: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_LOCAL: Blocking GigabitEthernet4/1 on VLAN0400. Inconsistent local vlan.

5d19h: %SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR: Received BPDU with inconsistent peer vlan id 100 on GigabitEthernet4/1 VLAN300.

5d19h: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_LOCAL: Blocking GigabitEthernet4/1 on VLAN0300. Inconsistent local vlan.

5d19h: %SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR: Received BPDU with inconsistent peer vlan id 100 on GigabitEthernet4/1 VLAN200.

5d19h: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_LOCAL: Blocking GigabitEthernet4/1 on VLAN0200. Inconsistent local vlan.

BTN_CORE_1(config)#

BTN_CORE_1(config)#spanning-tree mode ?

mst Multiple spanning tree mode

pvst Per-Vlan spanning tree mode

rapid-pvst Per-Vlan rapid spanning tree mode

8 Replies 8

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi William,

It should support RSTP and you can see in the option you got after you hit ?

mst Multiple spanning tree mode

rapid-pvst Per-Vlan rapid spanning tree mode <<-----

Check the last option

Also the error message which you are getting could be due to config inconsistency between the 2 ports connected on 2 switches with each other. May be vlan pvid mismatch or not allwoing same vlans on both trunks or wrong encapsulation between the 2 ports.

Have a look at this link for complete details about the erorr messages which you are getting

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_system_message_guide_chapter09186a008009e7a1.html#353669

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

the peer switch is HUAWEI, their default pvid is 1 and cisco default is 1 as well.

but i suspect the STP problem, the is only 1 physical connection to peer, and without STP everythings is working fine, once STP enable on both side. Cisci promt out the error msg... and block the particular vlan.

Is is something related with STP standard or encapsulation ?? wat is the STP open standard for cisco, coz HUAWEI is using the open standard for STP.

Hi William,

I see the errors on int 4/1 which is your trunk port can you confirm if the trunk config is same on both the sides which is Cisco and Huwaei. I think you have allowed only few vlans on cisco on its trunk port have you allowed the same set of vlans on huwai also.

Cisco by default is PVST+ which is interoperable. Can you check is it sper vlan spanning tree on huwai also or its CST which is common spanning tree.

Regards,

Ankur

PVST+ is a cisco proprietary way of running one spanning tree per vlan. The real IEEE standard only runs one spanning tree for all the vlans. I don't know what the Huawei switch is doing, because many vendors have tried to interact (often succesfully) with PVST+.

PVST+ adds a TLV that identifies on which vlan a BPDU was originally sent. If this TLV does not match the vlan on which the BPDU is received, the bridge blocks both vlans, to prevent potential bridging loops.

Basically, if Huawei is doing a pure IEEE STP, then it means that you are receiving BPDUs from several Cisco switches that were configured with different native vlans. Another possibility is that you are using some kind of circuit technologies that bridge some vlans together (like vlan 200 on a cisco bridge that is bridged through third party switches to vlan 100 on another cisco bridge). There are tons of potential configuration isses that can lead to this. We would need lots more details on your setup to understand the issue you are having.

If you don't need vlan load balancing, i.e. you are happy with running a pure IEEE implementation of STP or RSTP, then just switch all your cisco bridges to MST mode. With no configuration, MST is just like RSTP, and RSTP interacts natively with STP;-)

Regards,

Francois

I not implementating any bridging technology, so to enable MST, all i need to do is just select this mode rite ?

mst Multiple spanning tree mode <--------

rapid-pvst Per-Vlan rapid spanning tree mode

yes, "spanning-tree mode mst" put the switch in mst mode. You'll need all your switches to be in MST mode if you don't want any pvst+ BPDUs going around. You may need to do a shut/no shut on the interface to get rid of the automatic PVST simulation that MST can start.

Be careful that even if you are only using L3 technologies on vlan interface, you still have bridging enable on switch ports. The mere fact that you are receiving this error messages shows that you are indeed bridging...

Regards,

Francois

thanks bro, it works for me now !!! i created 1 instance in HUAWEI map vlan 100 - 500 and cisco doing the same things... but wat if i run a default IEEE STP on HUAWEI and MST on Cisco with only instance 0 map all vlan. CAn it work in this way?

coz IEEE STP is one STP for all vlan, MST with instance 0 map all vlan, is also 1 STP for all VLAN. It should work rite ?

Hi,

Yes it should work fine. MST with not configuration will use instance 0 for all the vlans. It will detect the Huawei bridges on a per port basis and start sending STP BPDUs on these ports. If Huawei support RSTP, that will do the same... but faster;-)

Regards,

Francois

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: